Hello everyone, and welcome on my first blog!

I hope you started this 2016 in the best way. One of my New Year’s resolutions is this Blog…so let’s start with the first post!

Probably a brief introduction would be a good idea to start. Well, my name is Giulia Milana and I’m 27 years old. I am from Italy and in particular from Rome, where I’ve lived almost all my life. Of course my opinion is a little bit partial, but if you have never been there you should definitely go! It’s amazing! =)

I graduated in Civil Engineering from University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’ and after that I did my Master in Structural Engineering at the same University. After my studies, I did an Internship with StroNGER, mainly focusing on steel structures and FEM analyses; and at the meantime I was working further on my thesis with my Master’s supervisor in order to research additional aspects that resulted in publishing some papers. I think this period led me to the decision to pursue a PhD program; indeed, I believe it is a great opportunity to deal with challenging aspect of a particular field developing critical thinking and being able to see the big picture. After some research I bumped into this extraordinary opportunity with TRUSS ITN. I applied for the PhD position, and fortunately after a few days a pleasant news came: I was selected as one of the 14 Early Stage Researcher in TRUSS ITN.

TRUSS (Training in Reducing Uncertainty in Structural Safety) is a project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under the Marie-Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (ITN). Involving 4 leading Universities and 11 companies from 5 different counties, TRUSS is able to provide an international and multi-disciplinary dimension, giving us the opportunity to thrive in an exciting environment.


My project, ESR6, is entitled ‘Residual life assessment and management of ship unloaders’. During this research project I’m hosted by Lloyd’s Register, at the Global Technology Centre in Southampton, and also a secondment of 6 months at University College of Dublin is planned. This is an exciting project that involves multiple aspects, such as failures, fatigue design assessment and structural reliability for critical steel infrastructure like port’s cranes. I will deal in particular with structural reliability, in order to reduce uncertainties related to more traditional methodologies currently employed to identify residual life of ship unloaders. The Finite Element model of the ship unloader will play a major role in the structural analyses, for this reason different models will be developed, reducing gradually the gap with the real structure. Dealing with existing structure, the first step is to identify the current condition, mainly in terms of loading and environment, and collect all the data from load testing and modal survey. Once this step is completed it is possible to build up the model, analyse the structural behaviour and carry out residual life assessment.

I started this project in September 2015, and during the first months I have conducted mainly a review of the existing literature, to enter the field and understand better the methodologies available. I'm starting to build the model, and I hope I'll be able to give you exciting results soon. I hope you will enjoy my project as much as I do!

See you soon!
Giulia

Comments

  1. Awesome website with awesome articles keeps up the good work.UK Research Paper Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is great article hopefully I will read more of your content.
    paper writing services

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog